Cub Cadet is a company that builds equipment to make the outdoor life of people convenient with a belief in possibilities. Cub Cadet RZT-42 zero turn mower is a quality product made by it. But unfortunately, people are facing a lot of Cub Cadet RZT 42 problems while using this zero turn mower.
Mowing is a healthy activity but gets ruined if you are having trouble with your mower and your mowing time becomes repairing time with empty pockets.
We are aiming to discuss some of the issues facing by the people using Cub Cadet RZT-42 and tried to solve them with possible fixes. By researching this mower along with the reviews of its users, we have enlisted the following major Cub Cadet RZT 42 problems. And we have tried to figure them out with provided solutions.
4 Major Cub Cadet RZT 42 Problems
We have enlisted some of the major Cub Cadet RZT-42 problems, which are the frequent complaints by its users. Let’s have a detailed and in-depth look at Cub Cadet RZT 42 problems along with their possible solutions one by one:
- Hour meter issues.
- PTO engaging and disengaging issues.
- Ongoing oil pressure issues.
- Left-hand hydro transmission issues.
1. Hour meter issues – Major Cub Cadet RZT 42 Problems
The zero-turn mower has an hour meter to display the working hours and to display the maintenance time to remind you about the schedule.
The hour meter starts counting the working hour when you put the start key on. Systematically, It should stop counting when the mower stops.
Unfortunately, stopping the machine does not stop the counting on the hour meter. It’s one of the most common and major cub cadet RZT 42 problems that it continues to count the working hours during the rest position.
This hour continuation leads to the following sub-issues;
- Hour mismanagement.
- The warranty period got disturbed because the warranty of the machine based on the hours shows on the hour meter.
- Battery discharging issue even at the stop position.
Solution – Major Cub Cadet RZT 42 Problems
If you are facing any of the mentioned issues and sub-issues, then you have to follow the following guide to solve your problem;
- Always make sure to take the key out when you had done with the mowing session to save your warranty and battery for the right time.
- Make sure to turn the key off because the hour meter of the Cub Cadet RZT-42 does not track the engine hour, but it does follow the hours whenever the key is on.
- Be aware that every second when the key is on, it is ticking away the warranty of your mower.
2. PTO engaging and disengaging issues
Power take-off (PTO) switch in the mower is to engage and disengage the blades and deck of the mower during the mowing session.
Cub Cadet RZT-42 has a PTO switch for the same purpose, and it has labels on it for engaging and disengaging;
- Pull the switch to engage the blades.
- Push the switch to disengage the blades.
In most of the Cub Cadet RZT-42 models, people are experiencing the issue regarding PTO switch and complaining that when they pulled the switch up to engage the blades, the blades weren’t engaging. And similarly, sometimes facing the same case with the disengaging. It could lead to the following issues;
- Problem with the switch.
- The electric clutch issue.
- Interlock issue.
Solution – Frequent Cub Cadet RZT 42 Problems
We are providing you with the best possible solutions for these types of Cub Cadet RZT 42 problems regarding PTO switch if you are facing the relative issues;
- Firstly, replace the PTO switch and the fuses attached to the 12-volt battery.
- While changing the PTO switch, check the voltage flow that whether the voltage is flowing all over the switch or not because the 12 volts of the battery need to flow through the switch to keep the PTO working. Otherwise, the switch has been electrically shorted.
- Replace the clutch with a new one along with a new switch, and use a couple of appropriate size of fuses for proper flow of current to make the switch and clutch keep working.
- Make sure to check the resistance across the clutch to fix it; resistance must be 2.5 ohms for proper functioning.
- Check the Air-gap pressure to deal with the interlock issue.
3. Ongoing Oil Pressure Issues
It is necessary to have a check on oil pressure during the mowing session. to make it convenient, the manufacturers have put an oil pressure gauge on the meter to aware you of the oil pressure.
The dashboard of the Cub Cadet zero-turn mowers includes an hour meter, Low oil or time for an oil change, PTO, and other lights.
People using Cub Cadet RZT-42 have a frequent problem with this oil pressure indicator that the LO-OIL indicator is at warning even after filling the oil. The light is always blinking for refilling the oil.
If any of you is experiencing the following issue with this oil pressure indicator, then we have researched a lot to solve these kinds of Cub Cadet RZT 42 problems.
Solution – Most Common Cub Cadet RZT 42 problems
If the lo-oil light is blinking, it can because of 2 reasons;
It is showing the lo-oil level
The LED is blinking to show that the oil is not enough to run the engine. So you have to fill it to the indicated point to turn the LED off.
Oil change and filter replacement
But if the LED is still blinking and it’s frequently warning the lo-oil indication, then it means that it the time to perform oil change and the mower needs oil filter replacement.
Perform the oil change process along with the oil filter replacement according to the method given in the user manual.
Then, after a few hours of engine running, the light will reset itself and will turn off automatically.
4. Left-hand hydro transmission issues
Cub Cadet RZT-42 has hydro-gear EZT 2200 transaxle transmission. The Cub Cadet Company has specifically designed this transmission for its mower to make the zero-turn mower more sturdy.
Unluckily, people using Cub Cadet RZT-42 are suffering from the issues related to left-hand hydro transmission. The transmission on the left side becomes weak after some use.
The transaxles and the transmission has a direct impact on the speed and the performance of the mower. The weak transmission strongly affects the speed, performance, and efficiency level of your mower.
It also rises with the following issues if not prescribed well;
- It will affect the bypass lever.
- Weakens the parking brake system of the mower.
- The speed of the mower reduces with the weakening of the lollipop linkage of the zero-turn mower.
Solution – Common Cub Cadet RZT 42 Problems
If you are experiencing the same issue with the transaxle or the transmission of your zero turn mower, then we are providing the method to get rid of the following problem. And it will help you to avoid the following mentioned issues by curing your transmission step by step;
- Take the transaxle out of the machine by unbolting it. And remove the pulley from it.
- Then remove the flip plug to drain all the oil out of the unit.
- Then remove all external parts of it, which includes parking brake gear, the lever that helps the mower in going forward and reverse.
- Try to keep all the parts together after loosening them to make rebuilding an easy task.
- Open the entire unit by removing all the bolts on the top of it.
- Remove the gears, washers, and the bearings at the inner side.
- Make sure to clean the entire transaxle after removing it from the machine with the greaser, brushes, and the hose to remove as much dirt as possible.
- Check the center section and the motor of the unit, it may have grooves on it, which is the main reason to weakens the transaxle and the transmission.
- Put fresh oil to grease the unit, and use high-quality sandpaper to make it free from grooves. Put the sandpaper on a flat surface like wood or mirror, and rub the motor on it in a circular motion. Do this until it gets smooth.
- The smoother unit will provide you with a strong transaxle.
- After getting the smoother motor, reinstall all the parts back the way you opened the transaxle unit.
- Apply RTV stick before putting the cover on to close the unit properly.
- Put all the bolts on and tie them up well to make it capable of functioning correctly. Put all the seals back.
- Reassemble the fan and the pulley in reverse order carefully.
- Fill the unit with the recommended motor oil according to the user manual. It will take almost i.75 quarts to fill this Cub Cadet left-hand hydro transmission unit.
- Reinstall this unit in the machine by bolting it up in the machine properly.
- After reinstallation, start the mower, run it on the full throttle, check the transaxle by moving the engaged bypass lever forward and reverse several times.
- Repeat the above step with the disengaged bypass valve. And then check the fluid afterward and add as needed.
Follow the guide provided, step by step to fix your transaxle issue.
It’s become disappointing and hopeless when you are not getting the desired results even after spending countless money.
The purpose behind writing this article is to help the readers with Cub Cadet RZT 42 problems by providing them with all the possible solutions to the issue.
Hope it helps!